Part 1: Too Good to be True: Is Jesus the Real Deal? | 03/21/21
1. What’s the purpose of testing things?
4. Read John 8:47. If Jesus was God, why isn’t it obvious to everyone?
5. Why can’t we approach purely on an intellectual level? What are some truths about God and His character that don’t make sense to us humanly?
6. How did Jesus going to the Cross:
a) Seem like evidence He wasn’t God
b) Actually prove He was God
7. Jesus didn’t leave room for partial belief or sitting on the fence about His claim to be God. What is your response to Jesus being fully God?
Part 2: Too Good to be True: Is Jesus Reliable? | 03/28/21
1. John 11:6 says that Jesus waited another two days despite knowing Lazarus was near death. How does this challenge your view of God and how He should act?
a) Why do we believe God’s love shouldn’t allow suffering?
2. How do our expectations of God makes us miss out on what God is doing in our lives?
3. Read John 11:14. What is God’s purpose in allowing uncomfortable/challenging situations in our lives?
a) How should we respond if we want to submit to God’s will?
b) How does appreciating Gods timeframe help us have confidence in difficult situations?
4. Lazarus’ death was not about Lazarus at all. It was for the benefit of those who witnessed it. How does this affect your attitude to current challenges you’re facing?
6. Go around the group and answer this question: What circumstances are tempting me to think that God is unreliable right now? What will it look like for me to trust God with those circumstances this week?
Part 3: Too Good to be True: Is Jesus Lord? | 04/04/21
1. What does it mean for Jesus to be LORD?
2. Josephus’ historical account states that Jesus lived and was crucified. Discuss the impact of Jesus without the resurrection versus his impact because of it?
3. Read John 10:17-18. Why didn't Jesus use His authority over death to prevent His death or to save us in some other way?
4. Read John 20:26-29. Thomas didn’t believe the disciples who told him Jesus was alive. Is it possible to believe Jesus is Lord without faith? Why?
5. Read Isaiah 55:9. How does faith interact with reason?
6. Christ’s resurrection was evidence that the power of sin and death had been broken. How have you experienced the power of God’s resurrection in your life?
Part 4: Too Good to be True: Is Jesus Necessary? | 04/11/21
1. What are some ways that you have experienced suffering in the past year?
2. When life seems out of control, what kind of thoughts and emotions do you experience?
3. How does our view of suffering change when we see Jesus as the Suffering Messiah?
4. Read 1 Peter 3:18-22. What are some ways we can experience Resurrection Life in Jesus while we are experiencing suffering?
5. What are some ways we can show the grace of Jesus by making ourselves present in the suffering of others?
Part 5: Too Good to be True: Is Jesus Worth It? | 04/18/21
1. What things have you pursued because you thought it would be valuable, that ended up not being worth it?
2. Read John 21:15-23. What is the difference between Jesus asking if Peter loved Him with an agape (self-sacrificing love) versus a phileo (brotherly) love?
a) Honestly, how would you respond?
b) Would your answer change if you knew following Jesus would lead you to great suffering?
3. Jesus promised that those who follow Him will have to suffer because of their faith (John 16:33), that they will have to live counter-culturally and be shamed for it (1 Peter 4:12-14), and that we will need to give up some things (Titus 2:12). So why is that worth it for you?
4. Peter not only believed following Jesus was worth it, He lived for Jesus boldly, regardless of what might happen. What would it look like for you to do the same this week?
5. Pray for each other’s opportunities to live boldly this week?